Friday, September 1

Let Me Tell You Something

I like teaching.

It's fun and the students in my classes are fascinating and wonderful and charming. I am smitten with them all. I have been wrapped up in trying so hard to get a job and then putting up with the bureaucratic mess that is being an adjunct that I forgot everything I was going through was because I really like teaching college kids. They have spunk, maturity (most of the time), and are branching out and trying new things which makes them open, interesting, and interested. I like learning about these great people and seeing what they have to offer me, the class, and the world. It's fun to share what I know and assist them in finding out how to go from where they are to where they want to be.

Last night, for the first time since I moved here, I felt giddy. As my students filed out of the room I felt like hugging each one of them for giving me the opportunity to be happy and have a little fun. Plus, it is a required course so I have tons of students clamoring to get it, which I know is nothing personal, but dammit, they all wanted to hang out with me three hours a week!

So Rah Rah Me! Rah Rah the U for giving me a job! [very fancy cartwheel inserted here] And Rah Rah you for sharing this moment! [high kick]

*if any of my previous students were to read this blog entry they'd never believe it was me because I tell them that using an exclamation point is like jumping up and down with spirit fingers (which I always demonstrate). But in this case, I am jumping up and down with spirit fingers!

2 comments:

Mary Kreta said...

Thanks for showing Oma and Harry my blog, Sweet Nathaniel.

Anonymous said...

Those lucky students. Alaska needs your sweet smile and sharp mind.

Here, have a cup of tea while you grade those papers.