
This is a picture of the mountains from my favorite strip mall. See how much I've grown? I have a favorite strip mall. Somewhere I go on purpose. A strip mall I frequent. Do I wish the stores were against the street and not hiding in a parking lot? Absa-fuckin-lutely. But the point here is my growth. Can you see it? This strip mall has: Title Wave Books (hands down the best bookstore in town. It's independent, too.), Kaladi Bros. Coffee Shop (which sells great tea in a real coffee shop setting), REI, Middleway Cafe, and some other less interesting stuff.
The Real Reason I wanted to show you this picture, though, was because the mountains are great and clouds are magnificent. But it feels like I can't even see them because I am blinded by the sea of cars and lightpoles. And that McDonald's sign. Can you see it? Greg once told me it was the highest grossing McDonald's in the country. It has two drive thrus and everything. It's quite impressive, really. But this is what Anchorage has to offer. Stunning scenery that I can't concentrate on.
I was trying here. I really was. I had a great time browsing the bookstore and working in the coffee shop. And then I walk outside and sigh. I wish, I wish, I wish.

5 comments:
I'll take you up on that, TC.
The blue man/woman thing is from my super-cool photo booth on my new MacBook. I have spent way too much time playing with it.
Playing With New Computer is the first thing on your list. You can never spend too much time playing with it.
The whole "Trying to see the mountains in the distance but being blinded by what's immediately in front of them" thing is pretty profound (way to metaphor!). Keep your eye on the beautiful thing in the distance ...
Thanks, Megan. I was hoping someone would notice.
What cars and light poles, what mall?
Look closer. See the two people in love and holding hands?
"Look beyond what you see"
-rashiki in the Lion King 1 1/2
Post a Comment