Friday, September 15

Does This Undermine My Authority?

The stapler in my classroom is like none I have ever seen. It looks fairly normal, but it is lightweight and when only slight pressure it shoots the staple through the paper with great force, much like an electric stapler. I like it because I feel strong and powerful when using it and my students have great reactions to the weight and force.

About thirty seconds before class started this morning, as my students were turning in their homework, one girl told me the stapler was out of staples. As I am in a computer lab, I started snooping around the drawers and found some extra staples. I opened up the stapler so it was positioned to staple something to the wall, but couldn't quite figure out how to get the top open to refill it. Then, out of nowhere, a staple comes tearing out of the stapler and connects with my forehead.

I was stunned. Two things happened to contribute to this event: 1) there were staples in the stapler after all, and 2) I must have put a hair too much pressure on the handle. Quite frankly, I am assuming these things happened because it all happened so fast. All I knew at the time was that my head really hurt, my students were staring at me (some had gaping mouths), and I was confused and blinking very fast.

I tried to recover gracefully, but as we can all assume, that failed miserably. They were disappointed that it didn't hit my eye so class would be cancelled. I was still standing there wondering what the hell just happened and why it had to happen in front of 20 other people. My head really did hurt and it hasn't really subsided. Occationally throughout class I would have my hand on my forehead and say, "wow. My head really huuurts."

This is the sort of thing that only happens in movies, or to me. It reminds me of when I was about 8 I was running from our house to the shed and I stepped on a metal rake and it came up and hit me in the head. Then, just like today, I was stunned. How do you follow up something like that? I laughed both times, but it was more out of confusion. I am a bad joke in a physical comedy.

Who besides me does things like get hit in the head with a rake and a flying staple? My mom would point out that I am an Aries and these things happen to my head for that reason, but that doesn't explain the goofiness and embarrassment factor. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get over it, nothing is so trivial to the truely spastic as a person as gifted in athletic coordination as you making an issue of some minor screw-up. These things happen to us every day or even hourly.

Anonymous said...

Please pull the staple out of your forehead now!

Anonymous said...

That tops your Jean-Paul (or whatever his name was) story. I love it.

Anonymous said...

To quote Hugh Grant in the Movie TO WEEKS NOTICE, "We obiously can't leave you alone with a stapler!"

Mary Kreta said...

ain't that the truth.

Anonymous said...

Further musings on Aries.
This is a fiery, impatient, "go do it now" sign. Headstrong. Your Taurus ascendant slows you down, but sometimes the enthusiastic fire errupts and that can cause accidents, esp head accidents. That is what we all like about you. Put on a bandaid and "carry on"! Go Aries, pioneering girl!