Wednesday, September 27

Autumnal Resolutions

Does the title make sense? I'm not sure, but I'm a risk taker so I'll leave it up.

I was sitting at home with my cats the other night and I decided two things:
1. I am going to start working out again
2. I need to start drinking more

I'll deal with them one at a time. Everyone that knows me is aware of the fact that I HATE working out. I blame it on keeping playing basketball after I was emotionally done with it. Whatever the reason, it is a constant struggle for me to work out and I hate being indoors when I do it. Two years ago I took up running and forced myself to do it because I stopped being able to fit into my pants. I have done a pretty good job keeping it up, but I have completely dropped the bag since I got back from Portland last month. I have a million (semi-) legitimate excuses that I will not bore you with, but I have made the decision to get back on the horse, so to speak, and start working out. Greg's job reimburses the gym fee after an ungodly amount of paperwork, so we decided to bite the bullet and join. Besides, it is getting too cold to run outside and they have (mediocre) yoga classes there.
Greg and I went to a yoga class yesterday and did some machines and weights today. I really don't like the machines, mostly because it is too easy to do the minimum. I kept on pushing up the resistance today on the elliptical, but I kept on noticing that it never really pushed me. I must be doing it wrong, but I have always had this problem on the machines. Any suggestions?

On to my other, more entertaining, resolution. Greg and I don't go out much because there is a lack of places we want to go out to, we don't have friends to meet us so we might as well stay home, and we are on a budget. This doesn't make for a rip-roaring good time. I was at home at 9pm two nights ago and was waiting for Greg to come home from work at 11. I flipped on the tv and found Bridget Jones's Diary on, so I watched the tail end of it. She was working on drinking less (which is far more normal than my wanting to drink more) but it got me thinking about my current state of affairs and I decided that, by golly, Greg and I are going out tonight when he gets off work whether he wants to or not. I poured myself a glass of wine and then watched Sex and the City, which followed BJD. I planned in my head an evening of dancing - not clubbin', but dancing with a twirling skirt. My big plans were curtailed when I got a stomach ache after eating yogurt. By the time Greg got home I was laying on the floor in the living room ready for bed.
The next day, though, I was not deterred. After yoga we went to the store and stocked up on alcohol. I came home and used to excuse that Greg and I have officially been together six years to make myself some vanilla stoli and squirt (!!!!). Then I had another. Then I started skipping around the condo and was all chipper and fun. I have to admit, it is pretty fun to be just a hair tipsy at 2:00 on a Tuesday afternoon. Greg had to drop something off at work, so he couldn't join me. But he sure laughed at me a lot - and I didn't even mind.
We think it'll shake up our evenings at home. Plus, I heard on NPR that there was a new study released saying that social drinkers make more money than people who don't drink at all. In light of this information my new motto is: I take my career seriously. I'm having another drink.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing about elliptical machines is that you never feel exactly pushed. I think that's why they're low impact. However, they do get my heart rate way the hell up (sometimes I get a little scared, so I stopped checking) and make me sweaty and often I get off and my legs are jello-y. So I think that means they're doing something for me, and that I don't have to feel the painful bit that I feel on, say, a stair master. But if you really do just want to feel pushed, why not go with the stair master? I refuse to believe you don't feel anything on it. Or if you don't, then you don't NEED to be working out.

Do they have Nia classes at that gym of yours? I'll bet Saffire wouldn't fare very well in Alaska.

Mary Kreta said...

I'll try the stairmaster and get back to you, Taya.

I am not sure if I am confident enough to do Nia, but I haven't noticed it on the schedule so I think I am safe. One of the worst things about Alaska is that someone like Saffire is likely to get his ass kicked for being that fabulous. hhummpph.

Anonymous said...

I was gonna say exactly what Taya said about the eliptical. I always feel like it isn't pushing me because my muscles aren't all "aaauuggh!", so I the resistance way up, but then by twenty minutes into the workout my heart rate is frightening and I'm a sweaty mess.

I've learned to do intervals so that I a) feel like my muscles are working, yet b) stay on the machine long enough to burn calories and get an aerobic workout. I sometimes just go with the machine's interval program (if I want to space out and watch the news on close captioning or listen to my ipod), but if I feel like paying attention to what I'm doing, I crank it up super intense for two minutes, then recover at a reasonable resistance for three minutes, for as long as I'm gonna work out.

I used to do the stairmaster during the soccer season and I refuse to ever get on one again. Oh, the pain, the PAIN. My knees hurt just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

i don't do the regular stairmaster (boring) but i do LOVE the "stairmill" the one that is actually rotating stairs coming down at you. if your gym has that, it's a kickass workout.

but workout wise, the elliptical is pure cardio. so helps your heart but in the long run weights are going to burn many more calories and do more good.

and as to your other resolution, the more important one!, i am not drinking right now due to the calories of which i cannot give up any to beer when i am only having 1500 a day. but once the fatty fat is taken care of, i will be devoted to drinking again, and i encourage you in your endeavours in the meantime.

Anonymous said...

Just a few comments...First of all, the reason you don't feel anything on the elliptical is because you are so f'in athletic!!! AND YOU KNOW THIS MAN!!! :) Just teasing...but seriously, that machine is kick ass and will burn serious calories. Sidebar--I have to disagree w/ Carolyn about the weights burning more calories and being better for you in the long run, but perhaps that's because I lifted weights for FOUR f'ing years playing b-ball at UAA and HATE lifting weights with a PASSION--perhaps how you now feel about playing basketball Mary?-- not to mention, I turn into the Incedible Hulk (or is that bulk?)after doing one set and gain more weight than I lose. But I digress....sorry.

Second of all, what the heck is Nia? I believe it's official(tear): I am NOT a former or current hip urbanite. Damnit! Can someone educate this sheltered former Air Force brat who grew up under the confinement of the USAF(even worse, the AF base was in ALaska!)? Spanks a lot.

Finally, I had such a huge smile on my face as I imagined you prancing around the house, slightly tipsy, with your Stoli and Squirt. :) :) Give this one a try (it's my favorite of late): cranberry juice, orange juice, sprite, Vodka (Skyy is a great choice). Equal parts orange, cran, and sprite, LOTS of Vodka. :) A lemon, lime, or orange wedge (whatever you prefer) always goes great with this deliciously refreshing drink. Cheers!

P.S. To help Mary with her latest Autumnal Resolution, I think everyone should recommend their favorite drink. :)

Mary Kreta said...

"Nia - Neuromuscular Integrative Action - is founded on the concept that there is a dancer, martial artist, and highly aware person within you. By melding various concepts together, Nia sets this person free."

I got that from a website. I first heard about Nia when my mom started going when I was a teenager. I thought it was wierd. My friend Taya does it and loves it. I still haven't been able to bring myself to try it.

Thanks for the drink tip - I'll try it.

Anonymous said...

It's founded on nine movement arts (categorized as martial, dance, and healing): tai chi, twe kwon do, aikido, jazz dance, modern dance, duncan dance, yoga, alexander, and feldenkrais. For the life of me I can't figure out the difference between Duncan dance and modern dance (Isadora invented modern, but seems to be the namesake for duncan dance.) Today in Nia my teacher announced she was not going to teach for the rest of the year so she can seriously devote herself to hula hooping. She cried and so did like all fifteen of us. And then she made us dance around and shout "joy" and stuff. I predict hula hooping is going to be next big trend out of Portland. Not like it was in the fifties but as dance form/fitness technique. I'll keep you posted.

And I drink whiskey, so that should redeem me a little when you all get to thinking I'm too new agey.

Mary Kreta said...

Are you going to join her in her hula hooping? I bet you'd be great