Alaska's governors office just released the results to a new poll about how the rest of the the US sees Alaska. Here are some of the highlights - if you're lucky I might add some commentary.
- Sixty percent of all Americans believe that most of Alaska is frozen year-round
Before I moved up here I thought of Alaska as purple because on my grade school map Alaska was a light purple neighboring a mint green Canada. To defend the over fifty percent of Americans, sometimes it can feel like Alaska is frozen year-round.
- Five percent think Alaska is still a territory.
- Four percent say that Alaska is a separate country
- Two percent think it is a commonwealth
So, people aren't smart enough to know Alaska is a state, but smart enough to know what the commonwealth is?
1 comment:
On the first item, Alaska does have it's share of permafrost, so I can look beyond that. But Alaska being another country? c'mon. I wonder if there are as many misconceptions about Hawaii.
Post a Comment