I went to a spinning class at my new athletic club and I love it.
I was a little nervous when I first arrived at the class because the only thing I knew about spinning was that it was terribly hard (and I knew this because I had seen it on several tv shows and movies with actresses with incredible bodies who are going on and on about how hard it is). I went to the class anyway and was peddling to warm up when the instructor started talking to the very nice man next to me. I am not sure how this came up but the man told the instructor that he may just fall off the bike, to which she replied it wouldn't be the first time. Apparently a man had a full-on heart attack in the middle of class and fell off his bike. It took a year, but the man's name is Ed and he was warming up on a bike across the room.
The class was really, really hard. When it got over I noticed that I was drenched in sweat in a very refreshing sort of way. Plus, I had that high that people supposedly get when they work out, but I never seem to experience. I was chipper, folks.
So I talked Greg into going with me tonight. We had a great time and about halfway through an intense interval section the instructor told us we had one more set and Greg actually moaned "nooooo." The guy on his right turned to look at him and I noticed that he was quite red in the face. About 15 minutes later, he turned to me during a recovery section and said, "I think I am going to throw up." Because I am a nice person, I made my hand into a cup and offered it to him. He gave me the look of death.
On our way home he asked me if I remembered the spinning class in the movie Fever Pitch. When I said I didn't he recounted that Drew Barrymore and three other actresses were in a spin class chatting and the instructor started barking orders about stepping it up and going hard. One of the girls then said something to the effect of hoping the instructor dies and burns in hell. Greg looked at me dead in the eye and said, "I know how she feels and I now understand where she is coming from."
This may be my new thing. We'll see (it is pretty hard).
Tuesday, October 3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Want to stay in shape? Try goat hunting, Darcy lost 10 pounds!
I loved spinning but let me tell you my bones didn't like it. Did you get those cool shorts so your butt bones don't hurt??:):) I will agree that the workout is amazing!! Greg is a trooper for trying yoga, knitting, and spinning. What a husband!!:)
I require a few months of dedication to an activity before I will allow myself the buy the gear. I do, however, lust after those shorts. We'll see how long I can hold out.
Dude, you are a badass...those classes are SOOOOO BRUTAL! Serious props Mare, serious props. I've heard you can burn serious calories in a single session...something like 500-600. Wow. I've been to a few spinning classes in my life and I have to say, my ass has never been the same since. OUCH!
How come some of these comments are shortened now?
They're not. The real long comments on excercises, including my response to what Nia is, is under the posting Autumnal Resolutions.
Post a Comment