Tuesday, October 17

Um, This Isn't New York

I was talking with a local today and mentioned that I just moved up here from Portland. He said he'd been to Portland before and didn't like it very much, especially the mall downtown. Apparently people were snobby and he was snubbed several times. He looked at me and said "I mean they're in Portland. OREGON. I was being treated like I was in New York."

My response was to think to myself (and really want to say out loud): "Um, you live in Anchorage. ALASKA. If someone from, say, New York wants to talk about Portland as too big for its britches, that's fine. I understand that standpoint. But for someone from here saying that? No way. You think that this is a great city, which proves my point that you don't know what you're talking about."

Perhaps I am too sensitive. Perhaps he did have a bad experience. But this is the problem that I keep encountering here. Folks really do think this is a thriving metropolis and who am I to disagree? Except that I cannot find what everyone loves so much no matter how hard I look.

I'll try to persevere. Sorry if this posting is too negative - its just that I am frustrated.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is really cracking me up.

people are so loyal...

Anonymous said...

Of all I saw of Portland (and I had a very good albeit very rushed tour guide), I liked the downtown mall the LEAST. I liked (in no particular order): La Crema, Detention in that converted elementary school, Todd and Jen's house, Hawthorne (the shoe store and the breakfast place), the breakfast place Todd and Jen took us to, Susan and Harold's place, the waterfront, the wine bar on the waterfront, the little outdoor art market that Susan sent us to, the little bar we went to with Taya and Jen, the clothing store I didn't buy anything in downstairs from Todd's office, and the place that served hot scones.

And. Um. I'm from Chicago.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that people are so loyal to their roots/home? Is it because of family, friends, memories, scents, vistas, etc..??

So because that guy thinks Anchorage is a great city, he doesn't know what he's talking about? Ouch! We all know there are pros/cons to EVERY city in America-even Portland (and just for the record, I LOVE Portland).

Too bad he felt snubbed. Nobody deserves to feel more "lowly" than the next guy.

"After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box."
Italian Proverb

Mary Kreta said...

Sorry if I offended you, Steph. I didn't mean it. The beauty of having my own blog is that I can talk about things from My perspective - which I know is totally biased.

I didn't mean that becuase he loves Anchorage he doesn't know what he's talking about. And I didn't mean to judge him. Like I said - I'm just frustrated.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to offend anyone either, but i will: *i* think the funniest part of that story (other than your hi-larious rendering of it--"Um, you live in Anchorage--ALASKA" LOL!) is that he didn't like Portland because he was "snubbed" a few times. Waa waa, if "snubbed" is the worst thing you feel in a day, yay for that day! I get snubbed by homeless kids for chrissakes, and I don't go home and cry about it.

I think that's more what offensive look like, Dear Mary.

On the other hand, when I moved to Portland, I think I thought exactly what that guy said to you to myself a few times. I would get the whole, "So, coming from Wisconsin [see, people who have never been to or known anyone from Wisconsin often think that about 20 people live there, that we've never seen a car or a cell phone, that highschoolers go on cow tipping in lieu of prom, etc.], was it overwhelming to move to (the city, Portland, the west coast, whatever)?" And I would think, "city?" Overwhelmed? This is Portland--OREGON! LOL, I'm so useless.

Mary Kreta said...

Um, thelizabeth? You're not useless - you're priceless! (That first part sounded a little like Lisa)

Mary Kreta said...

You've never been a "shrinking violet." I don't know who told you you were. Aren't you who I always call when I need to hype myself up to stand my ground? (The correct answer is yes).

Anonymous said...

You didn't offend me Mare, I just have to represent the AK baby!! It's just hard knowing that you aren't stoked about the place I am dying to get back to. But I've been thinking, it's not the city of Anchorage that I'm so sprung on. Rather, it's the family, best friends, geography, opportunity, and memories that capture me. In terms of city life, Portland crushes Anchorage.