Thursday, October 19

Hurray for Taya and Scott


I got a phone call the other day that my friends Taya and Scott are getting married and I was so happy that when I hung up the phone I had tears in my eyes. I am all for the living-in-sin option and was even surprisingly happy when I recently learned that non-traditional households (non-married couples) now constitute more than 50% of American homes. But I still love the romance and bravery of two people deciding to get married. Especially when it is two people I adore and believe are good to and for each other.

To celebrate Taya and Scott's engagement, Greg and I skipped out on the gym (yea!) and shared a bottle of wine at a bar instead. While there we came up with lists as to why we love them so much.

Reasons We Love Scott
  • From Lewiston, Idaho (compare with Taya)
  • Smokes like a European
  • Drinks straight whiskey (not wussy drinks like us)
  • His laugh - deep and reserved
  • Made Taya a kid-friendly White Stripes cd to play at her preschool
  • Worked at Goodwill for the books
  • Gets up at 6am to write before going to work
  • Asked Greg to be his friend at Taya's birthday party
  • Said that he wants to have the kind of friends that feel more like family
Reasons We Love Taya
  • Grew up a belly-dancing commune in Coos Bay
  • Gives GREAT hugs
  • Drinks straight whiskey (not wussy drinks like us)
  • Her laugh - audible inhale that makes one wonder if she's about to fall over
  • Let me copy her tattoo spot (let's call her my muse, shall we?)
  • Immensely wise and dispenses great advice
  • Her writing is inspiring
  • She keeps trying to organize her friends for a Family Fun Night with boardgames
  • Asked if our kids (when we have them) can call each other cousins
Join me in congratulating these two great people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, darling, you are absolutely wonderful--and of course I don't mind you writing this without asking first. Completely charmed. Except we're not mad about the picture, but c'est la vie. Can we play wedding pictionary, do you think?

Anonymous said...

and by anonymous i mean me.

Mary Kreta said...

So, you're not mad about the picture? Huh?

I think wedding pictionary will be wonderful, but you can't be on the same team with Greg. You might win again. Better yet, do charades (sp?) for your vows.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Taya and Scott - we'll take you for drinks to celebrate. Jen