Wednesday, September 13

Get Ready For Some Convoluted Chit-Chat

I have several strains of thought to fly with here, none of which I think will be terribly interesting. Good luck wading through. I did provide little titles to each one for your viewing convenience.

Trying On Our Hunting Pants
Greg and I went out to his uncle's house in Wasilla for pizza, beer, and moose butchering. Ya heard me right. Moose butchering. My father-in-law is in town and they had to cut up the last moose they got before they head out for another. Greg, being the good person that he is, helped, although, poor thing, he is not a natural and was in charge of barking (cutting all the air exposed meat off the surface) and then downgraded to wrapping up the meat in the white butcher paper. I was completely turned off by the ball that is part of the hip joint and immediately started working on an imovie. When I finished that, I moved onto knitting (more on this later). It was stinky, bloody, and altogether gross, but I had a good time, mostly because I like my father-in-law and his brother - especially when they're together.

The Kitten Mitten
When Greg and I unpacked our bags when we got back from Portland, we found that one of my 4 year-old-niece's little purple mitten somehow got in our bag. It is soft and fuzzy and Limbe attacked it immediately and it is now her favorite item in the whole world. She sleeps with it, nuzzles it, carries it in her mouth, attacks it, rolls around with it, runs from Kribi with it...you get the picture. She also growls. If she is having an especially nice time with the mitten and Greg, Kribi, or I walk anywhere near her, she'll growl. Greg hates it because he thinks of her as this little baby kitten that likes to sleep on his neck; not a wild animal who will threaten attack if we get too close to her mitten. When she is not using it, Limbe keeps it in her food bowl so that the things she loves most in the world are in the same place.
I had cold pizza for breakfast this morning (left over from the moose extravaganza last night) and have the empty plate sitting on the floor next to me. The kitties came over to investigate and got all excited about the remnants of pizza smell. After sniffing around for a little while, Limbe tore into the kitchen, grabbed her mitten, and dropped it on the plate. I guess the smell of pizza overtook her love of Iams dry kitten food.

Knitting, Crochet, and Cross-stitch
I have been looking for things to do. Projects to have. I liked to cross-stitch when I was a kid - it's super easy and fun, but I hate the way it looks. So I found subversive cross-stitch patterns on line and started one. But even when they say something sassy, I still don't really like them.
A few years ago my mom taught me how to knit and I liked it quite a bit, but I started a hat and it never came in at the top, but instead looked like a top-hat. I was so frustrated I quit. I've wanted to start again, but I didn't know how to cast-on (getting the original line of yarn on the needle), so nothing ever came of it.
I've talked to Greg about wanting to take it back up, but he wants me to crochet because it is all the rage to have a crocheted hat over one's snowboarding helmet. He finally figured out that I was serious about not wanting to crochet, so he said he would learn.
The point: Greg and I went to a beginning knitting/crocheting class yesterday. I really love my husband. Isn't he the coolest?

iLife
Greg and I have been making movies. We run all over town, dance, jump up and down, and make fools of ourselves and then put it to music. It's totally fun. But here is the funny thing: when put to music, my life looks way more interesting than it really is. Everyday life = boring. Dancing with a stuffed bear to the Franz Ferdinand in downtown Anchorage = very exciting. If I keep making movies and then watch them every morning I just might be able to convince myself that life up here is pretty sweet...

Comments
You guys have been awesome about commenting and I love it! I started a blog so that I could stay in touch with my friends and build a little community and when y'all comment, I feel the love. So Thank You!

One Last Thing
Yesterday I grabbed my bag and walked out the door, but forgot something so I came back inside. As I leaned over I felt something inside my bag move and heard a high pitched and confused meow. I opened my bag and there was Kribi! He fell asleep in the bag and almost went with me to work at a coffee shop. He and I cuddled and laughed for a bit before I left again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: trying on pants--LOL! LOL!

Re: Kitten--that's the exact reverse of how one of my college households accidentally acquired Mr. Nibbles, our pet mouse.

Re: Greg and his stitchery: That might be THE most adorable thing I have ever heard, ever, ever. Please get pictures of him in class, yeah, thanks.

Re: comments--I'm widely applauded for my participatory spirit; widely chided for my tendancy to go weeks at a time without blogging. Eh, it balances out.

Anonymous said...

The cat and the mitten story killed me. That is classic.

Anonymous said...

I second Elizabeth on the Greg cute husband thing and your kitty stories are the best yet. love you