Monday, July 30

It's been years since I did this

Picture this: My cheek resting gently on the toilet bowl at 3am. Greg, in the bathroom down the hall, has his cheek on the other toilet bowl. Intermittently, our cheeks rise, heave a bit, then rest again. As the bathrooms are close to each other and all the doors were open, my heaves prompted his and vice versa. Greg, the far more experienced drunk puker, was sending encouraging comments my way. Our interaction went something like this:
G: How you doing?
M: aaaaaaaaaggg
G: You're doing a great job!
M: aaaaaaaaaggg
G: I love you
M: aaaaaaaaaggg

This was round II of throwing up for the evening. I was laying on the couch when Greg went into the master bath the first time and I could vaguely hear him. The next thing I recall, I was on my knees thinking - I'm not joking - how convenient it was that I was in front of the toilet because I think I need to puke. I spare you the details but I was totally horrified because I HATE throwing up. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I cry every time. I spent some time contemplating how anyone could be bulimic. Greg was brushing his teeth.

I changed clothes and went to go brush my teeth. Greg was asleep on the bathroom floor so I stepped over him and took a hard left to the toilet again. I woke him up and he crawled to the other bathroom, which is where the story begins.

It was Greg's birthday and we had spent the day on a mountain bike ride to Powerline Pass. Yes, we biked to the top of a mountain pass and back. It was hard and a bit above my biking ability. After we got back to town we took showers and rode downtown for dinner where we ran into the Latino festival, then onto a dive bar.

There we accidentally ran into some folks Greg works with and people were buying rounds, which means that there was always a beer in front of us and two random people bought shots for the house. Basically, we shut down the bar and had a great time.

The bike ride home, which would normally sober us up, did nothing of the sort. Greg did comment on how much better of a biker I am than my brother because he fell off his bike when they biked home after a night on the town, whereas I stayed upright. Because I like to find small moments in which I am better than my brother, I will leave the story there.

PS We are both hurting a lot today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow you are really bringing a bunch of college & grad school memories rushing to the forefront today.

like you i HATE puking and i am a serious puker when a) i've had too much to drink b) i'm sick with the flu or any kind of sickness c) i eat anything the least bit questionable and d) sometimes for no reason.

crying every time. misery pure misery. :( ow.

hopefully you have saltines & ginger ale in the house, and if you find enough strength later, make some jello...

ah the pain of overindulgence. :)

Shannon Erin said...

Looks like we both spent some time drunken bike riding this weekend. Nice job staying upright!

Anonymous said...

Husband cheering wife on during drunken puke session. That's some serious love. ~S.S.

P.S. Powerline and free rounds!? I totally missed out. Lame.

Anonymous said...

mary-i´m back online. i hope to get a phone card asap and ring you as it has been an age since CELTA. Have had a couple of big nights out but nothing like the one you have described here...talk v soon. sal