You may recall my one-friend-Jillian's boyfriend from an earlier posting. They were over for dinner last week and Steve said something about how his job is to save babies. Amid much confusion I reminded him that he is an environmental engineer. He responded that his job was to clean up waste and pollution in the environment which made the world safer and healthier for everyone, including babies. Because of what he does babies don't get horrible diseases and die. I said a very timid "yeah...I guess, although I never thought of it that way." To which he replied that everyone wants to feel like their job makes a positive impact on the world and no one can argue that saving babies is the one thing that pulls on everyone's heart strings and serves the higher good. His theory is that everyone can find a way in which their job saves babies.
We tried testing out his theory on Jillian, which turned out to be pretty easy because she is a social worker in charge of a preschool that helps teach emotionally disturbed children to control their emotions and integrate into the education system. She works with the children that cannot handle traditional preschools and in the course of doing so alters these children's futures. Plus, she helps the parents with parenting tactics. Jillian saves babies in multiple ways: 1) the children are young and could still be considered babies, kind of, and she is saving them by helping them succeed in their future schooling and control their emotions by finding positive outlets, 2) teaching parenting skills saves future babies because it helps the parents nurture the children they already have and ones they may have in the future, and 3) the children Jillian helps will be more stable and responsible people, which may give their future babies a higher quality of life.
We moved on to me and decided that by teaching university students how to write more effectively, I am assisting them in becoming better critical thinkers, which means that they are less likely to become parents accidentally. If they do accidentally have babies they are more likely to raise their babies in a supportive environment. I also help my students develop their writing skills which will assist them in attaining gainful employment which provides them with a secure income that allows them to have enough money to support their baby. Thus, I save babies.
Greg saves babies by running trains safely and not derailing the train (especially on playgrounds or a maternity ward). Furthermore, 80% percent of Alaska's fuel, and all of the fuel for Anchorage International Airport is supplied by the railroad, and planes leaving ANC sometimes transport sick babies or pregnant women to Seattle for more specialized health care. He saves lots of babies.
This is a fun game and I encourage you to figure out how you save babies in your jobs and tell me in the comments. Now lets go save some babies!
Wednesday, July 25
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
dude? seriously, i am saving NO BABIES. i mean, except the ones i am saving from life with a hellish freak for a mother by NOT HAVING THEM.
i work in the compliance department of a wall street brokerage firm. i am saving babies by... ???
ooohhh, Carolyn, you're a toughy.
Let's see. You make sure that all of those brokers don't break any rules and use proper grammatical structures, which helps keep the stock market afloat and keeps a major depression at bay. Because when parents can't afford to buy food because of a stock market crash babies may die. You keep babies from starving to death. You save babies. BAM!
(I have no idea if I got what you do for a living right.)
This one's tough too. I build and manage meeting registration websites (golf outings, incentive trips, conferences) for the meetings and events department of a major financial institution. Maybe it's somewhere along the lines of the way Carolyn saves babies: I help my company retain business and not go bankrupt which could potentially cause a major depression, or at the very least cause 180,000 people to lose their jobs. This would be especially hard on the employees who live in second/third world countries. So, by helping people keep their jobs, I'm keeping babies from starving to death.
you're pretty on target although sadly i have very little control over the grammatical. here are some of the horrific examples of bad grammar that are now littering the world thanks to wall street:
"anniversarying" and "anniversaried" as verbs. "incentivized" as a verb. blech.
Well, you may not be able to save the English language, but you do save babies.
Post a Comment