Sunday afternoon. 3pm.
G: If I were able to get the day off work tomorrow, do you want to fly up to Fairbanks and drive the motorhome back to Anchorage?
[Greg borrowed his aunt and uncle's motorhome this winter and lived in it while he was forced to Fairbanks]
M: Fly up there tonight?
G: Yeah. We really need to get it down here.
Me: I have class tomorrow night at 6.
G: We'll be back by then.
M: Promise?
G: Promise.
M: Ok, but I am not organizing it. You have to plan everything. And make sure the plane doesn't cost too much.
G: Cool. We'll use my miles.
Two hours later we get on the plane. An hour after that our friend picks us up. It is 7pm, the sun is shining, and I remember why I adore Fairbanks in the summer. I wanted to drink some beer. We do. Two hours after we arrived our friend drove us to the motorhome, jumped started it and went home.
We cleaned the motorhome out, dropped off the winterizing stuff at the transfer station, washed the windows and were driving around to charge the battery.
G: Do you want to leave right now for Healy?
M: Alright. It's 10 at night. We won't get there until at least midnight.
G: That's okay. We're gonna sleep in the motorhome anyway, why don't we just get two hours out of the way tonight.
M: Why Healy?
G: It's the last place we can eat breakfast until just outside of Anchorage.
M: We can go to the store and get stuff to make. We're in a motorhome, you know.
G: That's true. Let's go.
M: okay.
We arrive in Healy at 12:30 and park in the Railroad yard. We had a nice drive and chatted. We are at our best when we are on an adventure. Especially an unplanned adventure. We brush our teeth and crawl into bed.
M: Oh no! We don't have a fan or heater or anything to make white noise.
[Greg breathes really loud when he sleeps and, for a normal person, it is no big deal. For a wierdo like me who cannot sleep if one small thing is wrong, it is a travesty. White noise is the only thing that drowns him out.
G: There are some earplugs up front.
M: But I had that horrific cold last week and earplugs will bring my earache back.
G: Well, don't bug me. I have to drive in the morning.
Long story short: the earplugs made my ears hurt. I can't sleep. I can't sleep. I am still not sleeping. I find another blanket and move to the other bed on the opposite side of the trailer. I am still not sleeping. I can still hear Greg breathe. It is getting chilly. It is cold. It is fucking cold and I am shivering. The sun comes up. I crawl back into bed with Greg. I am still not sleeping.
G: Did you sleep at all?
M: No. What time is it?
G: [looking at cell phone] 5am. You didn't tell me to be quiet once. You didn't even kick me.
M: I know. You said not to bother you because you had to drive.
G: You're not even cranky.
M: I got over being cranky a few hours ago.
G:Way to take one for the team.
M: Thanks.
We get ready and go to have breakfast at the only place in town. I wouldn't call it a town, more like two hotels, a few houses, and a coal mine. At any rate it was closed for another hour. We decided to press on.
Four hours later we roll into Anchorage exhausted and hungry. We clean out the motorhome and find a place to get it professionally cleaned for a reasonable rate, which takes most of the day. Greg takes a nap. I go to work. I get home at 10 and we watch the DVR of Dancing with the Stars. I got a good thing going.
Wednesday, April 25
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment