Thursday, November 30

Who Shall I Be Today?

Sometimes I am baffled by my lack of creativity. I like to think that I have a sharp mind and that I may even be occasionally witty, but more often than not I am flabbergasted that I didn't think of something so obvious. And, sometimes these realizations make me understand that I am a bit square.

I was listening to a story on the radio while driving to work about people giving fake names to Starbucks baristas. Some used names like Petunia or Satan. The author claims different name each time, generally someone currently grabbing the media's attention, like Condoleeza or Nancy Pelosi. A barista she interviewed said that one of her customers always said "me" so that the barista would announce "soy latte for me." Apparently this is a phenomenon and I not only didn't think of it myself, but didn't get the memo.

At the risk of jumping on the bandwagon, I think I am going to start doing this. And I might not stop there. What about a dinner reservation for Virginia Woolf? Or putting a pair of shoes on hold for Kribi? Of course, I love watching Without A Trace, so what happens if I disappear and Jack can't find me because no one remembers Mary getting a tea, but there was an Elizabeth Bennett that matches the description. I just have to hope that Jack heard the same story on the radio and/or is a little more imaginative than me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite fake name story: I was playing a shooter game at a LAN party with a bunch of guys. Jeremy named his character "mybabies daddy". He mercilessly picked on one person for hours and sacrificed all else to kill the other character. After which the pickee stands up in a room full of men and yells "Who's my Baby's Daddy?" to which Jeremy jumps up and says "I'm your baby's daddy, Sucko!" while pointing and doing a dirty dance. Brilliant! Hours of work for one punch line.

Mary Kreta said...

I don't know what the hell a LAN party is, but I gather it has something to do with a bunch of guys sitting in the same room playing a video game. Regardless, that is the greatest story. What vision.

Anonymous said...

First off, for whatever reason (autism?) I read the last few sentences of this post first, and I had NO idea what you were talking about.

Second, I have never heard of this phenomenon either. But it's kinda funny. Though mean, because baristas are people too (like I'm the "Be Nice" police, that's a laugh and a half).

Third, the closest I ever came to doing anything like that was daring a friend in highschool (we had a whole set of "dares" we meant to accomplish our senior year, which included driving to school in reverse--I actually did that--, arriving at prom on riding lawn mowers, etc.) to make a grooming appoinment at a pet store and then show up herself for the appointment expecting to be groomed.

She never did it.

Anonymous said...

No one EVER pronounces my name correctly, so I always try to get the person I'm with to be the name-giver for reservations or so forth, but I think that makes Scott feel uncomfortably patriarchal. I just don't necessarily respond to Tanya and Tara and stuff. So I did decide to settle on a fake name for these coffee counter situations. For unclear to me now reasons, I chose Sylvia on a whim one day, and for a few years I gave it to the baristas. However, I NEVER once remembered that my name was supposed to be Sylvia ninety seconds later when my coffee was ready. I gave it up and just tried to tune in to anything starting with a T.