My drive to work is short; generally about 3 stories on NPR. And today, all three stories compounded atop one another to make me mildly upset at the state of the world, but in a very selfish way. Here's why:
1) OJ Simpson has a new book coming about how he would have committed the murders had he murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. The interviews are being aired on Fox News in a two-night special. He is getting paid 3.5 million dollars for the book and interview. So let's just presume he admits he committed the murder (which, as much as I want justice and all that I hope he is not stupid enough to do (as if somehow the omission would further degrade society or something. I don't really know)) he cannot be retried because of double jeopardy, which I know all about because I watched that Ashley Judd movie. Perhaps the most upsetting thing for me is that I kind of want to watch the interview.
2) The Weinstein brothers (who started Miramax, sold it to Disney, and now have another production company) have made a deal making Blockbuster the only company who can rent their movies for three years. I am appalled. I have numerous reasons why I dislike Blockbuster, several of which stem from an excellent paper one of my students wrote, but my main reason is that their independent film section at my local store has Carmen Electra's Stripper Workout and other nonsense non-independent films. I got Netflix because I'd rather not watch Saw III. But that means that I cannot put Weinstein produced movies in my queue, leaving me with three options. The first is renting them from Blockbuster, but that wouldn't be economical as I already pay a monthly fee for video rentals. Plus, I would rather not go there in general. Another option is to watch the movies in the theatre, but I don't go to full priced movies anymore and that would be rewarding the Weinsteins for bad behavior (although Blockbuster pays for the movies based on the box office take of each movie, but again that is punishing Blockbuster and rewarding the Weinsteins - twice). My other option is just to ban the movies altogether, but I do want to see Bobby. But then I have to wonder whether all this though is worth it. I mean, I am only one person. What does it matter?
3) With the wind chill it is between -15 and -30 degrees this morning. That's brisk. It also tells me that I am not that crazy and it really is Fucking Cold. Officially.
Thursday, November 16
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
why don't you buy the weinstein movies on previously viewed DVD for $8 or something, and then resell them on ebay afterward? then you won't be giving the weinstein's hardly any money (and less than going to a new movie in chicago anyway), and you might even make some of your $8 back when you resell them?
just a random suggestion that popped into my head!
You are crazy smart, Carolyn. Of course, that requires effort...
Post a Comment