Thursday, February 15

If It's Not Irish It's Crap

Look - I know the saying is "if it's not Scottish it's crap," but bare with me.

Greg has taken to a speaking with an Irish accent. It's better than his French accent (which is NOT saying much), but worse than his Alaska Native one.

There are several cute things about this:
  • He gets all bubbly and tends to prance or hop rather than walk when he is talking.
  • He turns into a Chatty Cathy and just will not stop talking - which is includes play-by-plays of everything going on.
  • He thinks he is wildly charming
  • He thinks it demonstrates his worldliness
  • He frequently pronounces "Brad Pitt can kiss my ass!" (in the accent, of course) because my brother told him that his Irish accent was better than Brad Pitt's. (Also stated: you can blog about how my Irish accent is better than Brad Pitt's, if you want.)
  • He called my brother to talk to him over the phone in an Irish accent.
  • He'll ask me to say his name. I'll say it and he'll reply "oui" rather than "aye" and then stop, moan, and ask me to do it again.
  • He has bought a shit-load of Irish music of iTunes.
There are several decidedly not cute things about this:
  • He turns into a Chatty Cathy and just will not stop talking - which is includes play-by-plays of everything going on.
  • He will not stop talking - even to include me in the conversation.
  • He will speak in his accent when I don't think it's cute because I am really tired. Like right when I wake-up or am trying to go to sleep. I need a buffer.
  • It's not very good.
  • HE WILL NOT STOP!
  • It has been almost a week straight.
For Valentine's day I gave him permission to talk in his little accent all night without getting annoyed but he didn't take the opportunity. It may have something to do with my relaying that my brother said that is accent was wonderful, but not necessarily accurate. Or that I bought him double stuff Oreos and ice cream so he was distracted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tee Hee. Greg, you are so funny. Will you speak in your Irish accent the entire time you come visit? Mary, you are very patient. Love you both. Yen

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you told Greg about his accent being wonderful but not accurate. You are going to give him a complex.

Mary Kreta said...

he should have a complex.