I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone that I love books. I like reading them, I like touching them, I like looking at them, and I like buying them. I really like buying them. I love going into a bookstore and spending an hour or so perusing the titles, having narrowed down which ones I want to buy, sitting on the floor, walking around, and eventually walking out with a book that I am really, really excited about reading. Relatedly, I love sitting in front of my bookshelf and looking at the books I've read and remembering the story, the author, where I was when I read sections of it, and what was going on with me when I read it. It makes me happy.
When I left Alaska the first time to start grad school I sold most of my books because I didn't want to carry them all with me, I would move into a smaller place, and, hello, I would have plenty of new books. Then, when I moved back to Alaska after grad school, I sold a lot of my books, but took more than I probably should have. Right before I moved back to Portland I sold most of my books. Well, what I consider most of my books. In reality it was probably only a third of them, but it hurt me. I hate selling books just as much as I love buying them. It's like I am somehow selling a part of me. The $50 I got made me feel very, very cheap.
There are several things that must happen when one buys a new house and reassess one's finances. One of these things is finding ways to save money. For me, it is books. I have promised myself to stop buying books and it has been very hard already. I walked to the library three times, and it has been closed every time. The bookstore across the street was open and blinking expectantly at me. I quickly turned away with immense sadness and self-control. I am housesitting right now, and am reading the books there to keep me occupied. They're books that I would have never picked up on my own and I haven't been too disappointed but not overjoyed either. I did a finish the 500 page book in 4 days so it's not like it's painful, but...do you understand what I am getting at?
I don't really have a point (which is not all that uncommon for me), but I do think a lot about my current book freeze. I have purposfully taken something that gives me such pure joy and I think it makes me a little sad. At the same time, it is totally worth it. At least so far.
Tuesday, September 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I feel the same way about books. I worked in libraries for years, and somehow books have always made me feel at peace. Libraries & bookstores too. However, after moving a gazillion (yes, a gazillion) times in my life, I've gotten pretty used to paring down my book collection. I try to keep only my absolute favorites - the ones that changed my life. That's still alot.
Ok....so it says that you have packed and moved.....WHERE ARE YOU!!!??!!??! I called you a few weeks ago and e-mailed. Wha are you up to? I am coming to portland next weekend and would LOVE to see you!! get back at me...welcome back to Oregon
by the way that comment was left by me.....soli oops:)
i know exactly what you're getting at. ouch! a book freeze is soooo much more painful than say a yarn freeze, or a fabric freeze.
Mare, I am feeling your pain lately. I keep buying books and I'm beginning to think I need to join some sort of club so I can get some sort of discount/perks. Any suggestions?
P.S. Several of my new books are Let's Go books--Switzerland, Italy, Germany. YAHOOOOOOO!!!
Miss you! XOXO
S.S.
Post a Comment