Tuesday, June 12

Whatsa Happenin'

Things here are going quite well. I love Barcelona and feel wildly content walking down the streets to school while basking in the glamor of Barcelona, Spain, and Europe in general. It is quite geeky, actually.

School has been pretty hard. Tonight I don't have much homework, but I put in a good 13 day (minus lunch) yesterday and it looks like I'll have to do the same tomorrow. I'm not complaining though. It is intellectually stimulating and I am having a lot of fun. We spend the afternoons teaching and I taught my last class to the beginners today. I am moving on to advanced intermediate tomorrow and the complete lack of understanding conveyed through blank stares when I say words like "arrive" will be replaced by the complete lack of understanding as I try to explain grammatical concepts. I plan on developing a more intimate relationship with my grammar books and confusion. It'll just get worse when I move on to the advanced students in another week or so.

A bunch of us went to the beach last Saturday and I am struck by how wonderful it is to be living on the Mediterranean. I mentioned that the people I work with are fabulous, but I have to say it again. I am infatuated with the vast majority of them and sometimes have to pinch myself. While my learning of the Spanish language has subsided slightly because of how much I am in class, my knowledge of British English has exploded.

I'm sorry this post isn't well written or elegant. I feel like I need to talk to you all, but my creative juices aren't necessarily flowing. Perhaps next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mare, it's Steph...can't remember my login. Sorry. Screw creative juices and LIVE IT UP!!! You are right, the Med. sea is AHHHH-MAZING! Thanks for posting, as I am living vicariously through you and I am unable to do so when you don't post. However, I TOTALLY understand that your blog must be one of the last priorities in your marvelous life right now. As it should be. XOXO

Anonymous said...

Please sit in cafes and stare at the sea. Please do it. Just for me.